Tuesday, May 24, 2011

When you need it most

Recently I've talked with a couple of friends of mine who talked to me about how they are struggling with money. One has had tough times for a while, the other has dealt with layoffs and economic hardships just in the last couple years.

It got me thinking about how life was for me when I was single. It's funny how I am more of a coupon user now that I am (thankfully) more financially stable than I was when I was a struggling single gal. I lived paycheck to paycheck (or tip to tip as the case was) for YEARS! I had credit card debt because I was terrible with money (or was dealing with medical bills). I remember using coupons back then but I was terrible with them. My biggest downfall was using a coupon just because I had it...not because the sale was great or because I even really needed that item. I am so much smarter now.
I wish I had someone who would have taught me what I know now. Can I go back to my 25 year old me and shake some sense into myself? I really wish I would have fully understood what was possible with couponing back when I really, really needed it. How great it would have been to always having free toothbrushes, toothpaste, deoderant, etc!? To get food items for next to nothing would have been a God send.

Since I can't go back in time, I wish there was someway I could help other people who are struggling. I would love to have a one on one sit down with one of my friends who is struggling so much and help her realize that she can have a little relief.
Being an avid couponer means that you may make a few sacrifices. Brand loyalty is not always an option. You may not be able to eat whatever meal you are craving at the time because running to the store and buying products at regular price is, for me, a gut wrenching thought. But think of all you can save! If you are currently struggling then you are already making sacrifices. So what are you willing to sacrifice? Paying your electric bill or using Colgate toothpaste instead of Crest?

If you, or someone you know, could benefit from couponing and would like to chat please send them my way. I would love to help someone change their life, if even just a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment