Thursday, July 19, 2012

A Few Baby Must Have's

As I was out shopping today, picking up some of those last baby items, I realized that maybe some of you might be interested in some of my favorite baby/toddler products. Of course the list of needed items, for a baby (and toddler) is MUCH larger than this, but these are some items that you may not think about, or may not have tried before. So just a few odds and ends of my favorite things.

One of the first items I was exposed to, as a new mom, was a pacifier. That was mainly because I wasn't available to Nora right after her birth and she needed something to appease her. The hospital offered her the Gumdrop paci and we used that brand with Emmett too. I love the design and the cut out area for the baby's nose.
You can find them in most stores now so if you plan to try/use a paci (or Diesel as we call it...ya know, like Vin Diesel..."The Pacifier") with your baby then I definately recommend giving this one a try.

To go along with your paci, you need a clip. I didn't have one with Nora and I have NO idea why. All the time we spent searching her car seat or stroller for a dropped paci...and all we needed was a clip. There are tons out there but here is a picture of ones made for the Gumdrop. Trust me, they will save you some sanity (and a little money from having to replace dropped/lost paci's).


Another must have is the swaddling blanket. Again, I didn't have them with Nora but was given a couple with Emmett and I will not go without them. There are a few different brands but Summer Infant and Kiddopotomus are a couple that I've had. The velcro tabs wrap your baby up securely and tightly and they are a sanity saver.



While garage sale shopping this year I felt like I won the lottery when I was able to pick some up for .50 and even a quarter! Definately keep your eye out for them when at garage sales, thrift stores and consignment shops and you can get some great deals. Once you use one (if your baby likes to be swaddled), you will wonder where it's been all your life.

The type of bottles you use (even if you breastfeed you will most likely need a few bottles on hand) usually depend on the baby. Some work better than others when it comes to reflux and just general comfort. I've had good luck with the Playtex Ventaire

and the DropIns.
I know there are some other great brands out there but, being the frugal gal that I am, I tried some of the less expensive ones first and these worked well for me.

For sippy cups, I love the Nuby brand, especially the No Spill Easy grip cup. They are super inexpensive and I love the soft spout and design of the cup. They are very simple and do the trick.


This isn't so much a "baby" item but for when the kiddos get older. These are usually under the "safety" catagory but I use them for my sanity more than anything. I love the finger pinch guards.

I use them, not just for protecting little fingers, but so my kids don't run around slamming doors. Plus, they make a nice gap for when you want to close the door but not all the way. I picked up a different brand today for around $5 so they are very reasonable and I recommend getting a couple packs for around the house.


This last time is brand new to me but I picked it up today and I can't wait to use it and you don't have to have a baby/child to have this great invention. It's the Brica Phone Pod.
As a recent owner of an iPhone, I am moving up in the world of technology. I use my phone for more and more things, now that I have all the options. This will be great for the stroller...to have the phone handy when out and about, but I have another exciting use for it...the shopping cart!! The last time I went grocery shopping I had part of my shopping list as a "note" in my phone. I had to keep picking it up out from inside my coupon binder bag (or off the child seat in the cart) to refer to it. Now it can attach to the handle of the cart and I won't have to keep picking it up.

It's a little bit of a luxury, I know...one of those "you don't really need it but wow that's fun" kind of things...but when you are juggling 10 things (as most parents do) it will be nice to have one thing that will just stay put. I'll give you a more personal review after I use it a couple times. ;)


I hope this helped give you a few ideas of brands/items you may not have thought about picking up.


Love and fun baby items,

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment