Thursday, December 9, 2010

A fun little Christmas craft

I saw this craft in a Martha Stewart magazine from 2005 and decided to give it a go. I has a few steps but all in all was really easy. The best part, I didn't spend a dime to do it! All the items used for the craft were things I had around the house. :)

A couple years ago I bought this container of cookie cutters. I think I have yet to use ANY of them, but I knew it was unlikely that I'd use the 20 "mini" cutters included in the set. I mean, really, who uses mini cookie cutters? So I grabbed out the 20 mini cutters and off I went.


I initially used paper from the magazine because there was an ad with really great prints and then also used some scrapbooking paper for the rest. The original magazine article showed using family portraits, which were really cute.

 I took the cookie cutters, placed them on top of the designs, traced around the outside and cut them out.


I then took craft glue and, with a paintbrush, glued the cutting side of the cookie cutter to the paper. Make sure to let the glue fully dry.

Next step is to take a needle with a large enough eye for your chosen ribbon to fit through. Poke a hole in the top of the paper (or right where the paper and cutter meet) and thread your ribbon through.
 Thread a bead through both ends of your ribbon and tie it at the top. Viola!


For some reason I can't get the rest of my pictures to load up, to show you all the "ornaments" but hopefully you get the idea. These are so cute and really fun. I can see these on a small table top tree in a kitchen, or even your main Christmas tree. I also thought these would be really cute to use as the gift tag on a present or as a placecard at your dinner table...just write the person's name on the paper. So many cute ideas for this little craft. Let me know if you try it. I'd love to see your finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment