Friday, December 31, 2010

Reflection

Sitting here at 8:20pm on Dec. 31st it's hard not to reflect on the past year. Since today was a rough day, it's a bit more of a challenge to think of all the good things that happened. I know they did so I'm going to search my brain to think of them. Maybe it will help lift my spirits before bedtime.

Things I'm thankful for/accomplishments/good things that happened in 2010...

- I was able to go back to my job at the Pepsi Center in January. I'm very grateful to have such a flexible job...and to have a job at all.

- Jim is employed. Not that there was any cause to worry but, in the times we are in right now, it's nice that he has a good job and we are financially doing fine.

- We have all (basically) maintained good health. Sure there have been colds, a flu or two, a concussion (not Jim or I, so you take a guess), and some other small illnesses but it's all par for the course and we are VERY blessed to be healthy.

- We have had family come visit us and we have been able to take trips to visit family. I cannot stress enough how important my family is to me, including in-laws of course. I really hope that next year we will have more opportunities to take more trips and to have more houseguests.

- I lost my pregnancy weight plus a few more. I'm still working towards that rock hard body (ya, right) but was so happy when the scale kept inching down and I'm now below my pre-pregnancy weight. Going shopping to buy new jeans, because my others were all too big, made me very proud of myself.

- I have maintained important friendships and some newer ones have grown. I'm not always the best friend in the world, I will admit, but I love my friends and I hope to continue to be a good friend to those who care about me.

- I started my own Avon business. I really enjoy the opportunities that have been given to me by being an Avon rep. I've had a lot of fun with the "job" and I hope that next year it will continue to prosper. Not just financially, but for me to be able to give a little extra beauty to those around me.


To continue the happiness trend, here are some things I'm looking forward to for next year.

- Taking more vacations! I hope Jim and I can take another trip, just the two of us, to continue to build our marriage and enjoy being husband and wife (something that has certainly gotten a little lost in the midst of having an infant and a toddler). I'm also really looking forward to a girl's trip, already booked, in February with my dear friend Robin. Florida here we come!!

- Maintaining my health. Although I probably don't need to lose too many more pounds, I'd definatly like to firm up the softness that having 2 kids has left me with.

- Becoming a better mother to my children. I know that I was no where NEAR becoming mother of the year for 2010. I doubt I will for 2011 either, but I know for sure that I'm looking forward to enjoying time with my children. I'm going to MAKE time to be with them in the midst of all my other goals.

- Becoming a better wife to my husband. I won't go into details but, as mentioned above, things have gone a little astray and I know that I always have room to improve. I look forward to bettering myself in all capacities and I hope my husband reaps the benefits of that.

- Finding peace. I know that sounds really out there but in my goal to become a better person, I'm looking forward to finding a sense of peace within myself. I have the Serenity Prayer hanging in our guest bathroom but sometimes I feel like it should be tattooed on my arm.

"God, grant me the serenity


To accept the things I cannot change;

Courage to change the things I can;

And wisdom to know the difference."
 
When searching online for the exact words to the Serenity Prayer (because in my boggled mind this evening I didn't want to misquote it), I found this Mother Goose rhyme:
 
"For every ailment under the sun


There is a remedy, or there is none;

If there be one, try to find it;

If there be none, never mind it."

 
All in all, I look forward to the possibilities. I know that we can all make too big of a deal about resolutions and January 1st, but I think it really is a good time to reflect on what's important, where you've been and where you are hoping to go. I'm planning to start this new year with a clean slate. That includes a shower, clean pajamas and clean bedsheets....that's my new New Years Eve tradition. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment