Wednesday, January 4, 2012

With a Little Help From My New Friends

Today I attended my second MOPS meeting. The first one I went to was right before Christmas and I had just went to check it out. I have a friend/Avon customer who attends and really encouraged me to go. I had been wanting to go for a long time so it was a great opportunity, especially knowing that I'd know someone there.

If you aren't familiar with MOPS, they are a non-profit, faith based organization. Their mission statement reads...

"MOPS International exists to encourage, equip and develop every mother of preschoolers to realize her potential as a woman, mother and leader in the name of Jesus Christ."

You can find out if there is a MOPS group near you (and more about the organization) here.

When I first moved to Strasburg a friend of mine told me that there was a MOPS group and I got really excited...until I couldn't find it. Unfortunatly it disbanded at some point and that was that. I was really hoping to find a way to meet some other women, preferably around my age...who had young kids. I know I have some FABulous friends who are in Aurora (and beyond) but I really wanted to meet some people out here. Just this summer I heard about a new MOPS group starting up here in Strasburg and now I've finally joined.

I am so grateful for this group of ladies. I know I've only been to 2 gatherings but it is so refreshing to hear other mothers talk about all the same feelings I have...fighting the same battles I fight...working through challenges just like I do. Today's meeting really hit home with me. Our speaker talked about the challenges surrounding her husband being gone a lot for work. Even though mine doesn't travel for days on end, he is gone for 24, and occassionally 48, hours at a time.  I almost ended up in tears at one point...just nodding my head thinking, "yep...exactly...I know exactly what you mean".

If you have kids (especially young ones) and don't have a group of moms that you can meet with, I highly recommend you find a MOPS group, or something similar. I look forward to my gatherings twice a month and hope to expand my mom support group to a few fabulous ladies here on the I-70 corridor.

Love and mommy power,

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment