Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A Day In The Kitchen

I was really tired yesterday so it was hard for me to find motivation do to much more than the minimum for the day but after lunchtime I put my big girl panties on (as my mom would say) and worked on some vegetables.

My mom visited my grandparent's this last weekend and came back with boxes and coolers of produce. My hit list yesterday included...

Tomatoes which I stewed with green peppers and onion and froze. This is great to put in chili!!


Green, red, orange and yellow peppers - I just diced these, put them on a baking sheet and stuck them in the freezer for a while. Then I gathered them up and put them in freezer safe baggies. They will be nice to have on hand for cooking.

I also cleaned about 16 ears of corn. I was going to leave them in the husks for a few more days but I noticed some little bugs traveled all the way from Nebraska and I wanted to stop them from eating my yummy corn goodness.

I still have some cucumbers to do. I'm going to make cucumber salad with them (I'm using this recipe). They are soooooo good and they keep for a long time in the refrigerator.

Oh, and if anyone wants some cheap cucumbers and corn May Farms in Byers has a produce stand out right now (hours vary). Corn is 6 ears for $1 and cucumbers are 5 for $1!! I stopped by today and checked it out and they look great!! They are picked right out in their fields daily!

Out of my own garden...we've ate all the corn we ended up with (which was only about 7 small ears) and green beans off and on (not too many of those either). I'm picked a bunch of squash! We've ate it off and on and I've shredded and froze some, along with a few zucchini to use down the road. 

I'm really hooked on this not having to go to the store to buy veggies thing. I think I could get used to it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment