Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Garden Update

I thought I'd give you an update on my garden, since I know you've been on the edge of your seat waiting to hear about it.
Here are some new pictures...

This is my out of control (in a good way!) pumpkin plant. This is the one that I was given, in a little baby food container and never thought it would live. There are flowers all over it but no pumpkins yet (it's still early though).
Here are my squash and zucchini plants. The squash are HUGE and have been giving me a fair amount. There are still quite a few growing (you'll see them in the 2nd picture) and I've picked about 10 so far. My zucchini has not done as well but I think the squash over took those plants a bit. I've only picked 4 zucchini so far and I don't see any more starting to grow right now.

 Here are my climbing green beans. They have done pretty well. We've picked about 35 green beans so far (yes I've counted). We had some one night with supper and they were sooooo good!
Here are the watermelon. You can see 2 growing pretty well and in the bottom left side there is another small one sprouting up (it's hard to see). I hope they ripen up nicely. I love watermelon!
Here's my corn. It never grew to be very big but we were able to pick 11 ears total. Some of them were really super small but they will be a perfect size for the kids (who are playing in the sandbox in the background).
 And here they are showing off 2 of the largest ears (the first 2 I picked)....they were yummy!
All in all, I'm happy with my garden. I didn't know what to expect since it was my first year. I figure that anything I was able to grow is better than nothing. I've learned a few lessons (fewer squash plants and more watering of everything) but all in all I'm pleased. And I'm hooked...next year I think we'll expand the garden so I can plant more!!

1 comment:

  1. I am very excited for you. We have thought about building a little garden area. We might have to chat and share ideas!

    ReplyDelete